Friday, May 15, 2009

Plein Air Season


I am packing my supplies to go plein air painting tomorrow. It will be "opening day" for the season. Artists from all over the region will converge on a particularly beautiful site. Like bears leaving our winter dens we blink at the sunlight and sniff the air. Plein air is a multi-sensory situation. It is also a very social exercise for artists that spend most of their working life in isolation. We will be at the same place where I did "Summer Residents" which is a pastel painting. That day I was working alone... or at least I thought I was alone. Several geese came up on the bank and stood around me as I painted. I found it amusing how close they came to me and how still they were as if to not disturb my work. The ducks on the other hand were a study in frenetic activity. The geese slyly showed their disapproval of the unruly neighbors. This is how we spent a lovely Summer's afternoon together, my feathered friends and I. You see that's the thing about working plein air. There's always a story that goes with the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment