Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Mad Scientist Struggles On


Ah, struggle, it is said to be beneficial to the human condition. I continue to be the recipient of these benefits. "Flora", a painting done in 1640, haunts my progress. Although, I did myself a big favor when I printed "Flora" this time, I made four copies. Thought I'd give myself four times the wiggle room. Oh and do I ever need it. Now printing an image on foil is pretty easy. Manipulating the resulting image into a collage or painting is an entirely different thing. I am just blowing through my "extras". But I do struggle on never knowing what's going to happen. This is both the blessing and the curse of working with an experimental media or technique. I'm in the grumbling, stumbling dogged pursuit phase. For every step forward, it seems like I'm taking two steps back. Even when I don't get the results that I want, I discover techniques that may prove useful in the future. That's if I can reproduce the effect. I'm not sure why something works one time and not necessarily another time. Is it humidity? Or is it dependant on the phases of the moon or a magic incantation that I've yet to learn? Maybe it's serendipity. Doesn't matter because I'm in this to the finish. So I'm going to put on my lucky socks and mumble an incantation or two. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment