Monday, March 30, 2009

After Millet


I was perusing the December 2007 issue of "The Pastel Journal" when I came across the picture of "Narcissus and Violets" by Jean-Francoise Millet (1814-1875). Being rather new to the medium of pastel at the time I was fascinated by the strokes of color and began to ponder how he did this, which lead to the idea that I should copy the work and learn from it. Copying is a time honored teaching tool in the visual arts. The ideal would be to be face to face with the original while working on the copy, but the magazine image would do nicely. I cut a piece of clear Mylar and with my trusty Sharpie I drew a grid. When I was finished I placed the grid over the picture. I then made a corresponding grid with pencil on a piece of cold press watercolor paper. I decided to do an 8" X 10" copy instead of a full sized 16" X 20" drawing. From the start the experience was both challenging and exhilarating. At more than one point I was thinking of giving up on the project. I struggled on. When I did come to the finish I realized I learned so much from the doing of it. Standing in the masters footsteps so to speak. Recently I found a frame that will suit this little piece. On this Spring day as I hang my framed study on the wall, I can't help but think that what Millet saw that Spring day in 1867 is somehow reflected into my life- my art . Mercie, Monsieur Millet.

No comments:

Post a Comment