Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I never saw a cloud I didn't like


What probably began as that childhood game of finding shapes in fleeting cloud formations has led to an ongoing love and the desire to paint them. I've been challenged by each media I tried to capture them in. With watercolor it was the sheer layering and with acrylic it's the speed at which one blends before the surface goes all sticky like marshmallow fluff. I have an entire file devoted to photos I've taken of clouds. One day it occurred to me why it is that my photo references never come close to the real thing. Clouds are- A I R ! The entire sky for that matter is telling us of the atmospheric drama that is being played out at differing altitudes. They are not things that can be touched, only perceived. That was probably the day I got my artist's psyche around the idea of what a cloud is. Now I paint clouds with pastel, an opaque medium which presents an entire new set of challenges. Oh, but it's worth it because now I do touch the sky. And what else is the sky and it's lovely dancing clouds but the under side of Heaven?

1 comment:

  1. I love clouds, too. And they are indeed a difficult subject. You are doing a delightful job with your blog. I'll be back.....

    ReplyDelete