Saturday, July 25, 2009

...and the other gold (continued)


No matter how loyal a customer you are, when you go through as much paint as I do, you tend to pick up a tube of this and a jar or bottle of that. The beauty is that they are all compatible and they tend to "keep" well, especially if you remember to put their lids back on immediately. The only thing that was getting stale was this artist which is why I decided to attend the Golden acrylics workshop in the first place. ( Golden Opportunity ) I can't speak for anyone else but I am easily distracted by shiny objects. And there I was playing with paint that sparkled and shown. Soon found myself in an interference induced coma. Up until now Liquitex had been my meat and potatoes and here I was faced with Quinacridone Crimson cherries jubilee- flaming! I'll be honest, the Golden line is sexy. From the descriptive names and variety grounds to the digitalizing liquids, Golden whispered in my artist's ear of techniques yet to be explored.

I know the feel of Liquitex in my brush the way I know the likes and dislikes of my best friend. Golden has a different feel, especially the Open series. I would think oil painters in particular must like this. I noticed that with watering a color to the extreme Golden is more fragile a bond than what I'm use to with Liquitex. ( I know, you're not supposed to do that but I'm spoiled.) During the workshop an artist expressed her dilemma over not being able to purchase a particular color anymore. This worried me. I fear getting too fond of a color and in the future being told it's no longer available. All this said, Golden makes a gorgeous and exciting line. One that is refreshing a veteran painter's horizons. With Liquitex and Golden I join another circle and dream of the possibilities of what is yet to be. Make new friends, but keep the old. For one is silver and the other gold. (Part 3 of 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment