Saturday, July 25, 2009

One is silver...(continued)


You see if there is one thing that acrylic painters are warned about, it is cold. It seems acrylics can become brittle. I emailed Liquitex for their input. Their representative reiterated the extreme cold concerns and cautioned against the flexible support that would surely exasperate the problem. I had only one choice. Throw caution to the wind and go for it. I lightly sanded the soft vinyl to give it a bit of tooth and then primed it with Liquitex gesso. I used Gloss Medium along with water to thin the paints since I was doing sheer layers of transparent colors. I went several times that winter to see how the banner was fairing. It was just fine, however other banners began to crack and peel over time. The banner went on to another venue after that. It has survived vertualy unscathed. It's experiences like that one that insure brand loyalty. (Part 2 of 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment