Thursday, March 4, 2010

Nose To The Grindstone


Don't you just love how in the movies the artist is seized by...inspiration! While wielding a brush in one hand, a stretched & primed canvas appears out of nowhere. With gusto paint is slashed across the canvas. A masterpiece is rent of this passion. It has never worked like that for me. There is the inspiration and even the passion, but there's so much more. As an artist, I fall head over heels in love with my subject. Like all love affairs, one wants to know everything there is to know about the beloved. Thus begins the research from the Internet to dusty old books. Right now I'm researching water lilies and swans for a threesome of paintings that I'm working on.

2 comments:

  1. I too am researching the Great Lakes for inspiration. I feel I will not get something completed before the deadline. I wonder why I am pushing my self so hard - silly because my work will show this.
    I enjoyed seeing you at the workshop and hearing about your family. Your work is lovely.
    Corinne Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks Corinne. Sure need the encouragement. You push yourself so hard because you love your work & want to give it your best. It does show. I'm happy to see you every time our paths cross. Until we meet again... Rosie

    ReplyDelete