Saturday, February 6, 2010

'Til Spring Creeps over My Windowsill






While I was walking through the home center, I found a rack of primroses. The bright, open faced blooms told me that Spring can't be all that far off. I bought three and lined them up on my kitchen windowsill. I do this every year. I keep the little plants alive until it's warm enough to plant them outside. I'm developing a really nice primrose patch. Inside or out, whenever I look at them blooming I am euphoric. They are the most optimistic of plants.

Here are the stages of my pastel painting of the purple ones. Although I was painting from life, I took a reference photo. I did the drawing with a watercolor pencil to establish the placement of the shadows. The next two images show the layering of color and refining of the image. And last is the finished piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment